Since then I've been pondering how to present it here. I've gone back and forth, deleted and restarted this post... I've wondered whether I can call this recipe my own creation, or to give you all three recipes that I've combined into one... When is a recipe changed enough to be considered a new recipe with a new creator? So I did what I always do when I have a question... I Googled it. har. "When is a recipe considered original?" My first result was thorough enough in answering the question, and I didn't feel the need to look further. I love Google... Anyway. An article in Washington Post titled, "Can a Recipe Be Stolen?" states...
International Association of Culinary Professionals focus on giving proper attribution to recipes that are published or taught. The association advises using the words "adapted from," "based on" or "inspired by," depending on how much a recipe has been revised.... The only time a recipe should be printed without attribution, the association contends, is when it has been changed so substantially that it no longer resembles its source.But what about combining parts of three different dishes that weren't significantly changed into one new dish? And so, I've decided to share the original recipe links with you, but I'm callin' the final result mine, unless someone says otherwise.
This salad has been adapted from Simply Recipe's Mixed Green Salad with Pecans, Goat Cheese, and Honey Mustard Vinaigrette recipe, Martha Stewart's Crisp Goat-Cheese Salad, and Laura G's Baked Honey Nut Chicken. I may not be great at creating new and original recipes, but I love modifying other's...
Green Dinner Salad with Pecan Chicken, Goat Cheese and Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
This can be made well in advance, actually I recommend making it in advance to allow time for the flavors to blend. The dressing also makes enough for several salads/meals.
2 Tbs honey mustard*
1 to 2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar (or regular if you can't find white)
3/4 cup olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
Whisk together honey mustard, garlic, red pepper flakes, and vinegar. Slowly drizzle the oil into the mixture, whisking constantly until incorporated. Season with salt and pepper.
*If you're like me and don't keep several different varieties of mustard in your fridge, here's an excellent honey mustard recipe: 1/2 Tbs yellow mustard, 1/2 Tbs honey, 1 Tbs mayo (or equal parts mustard and honey, double that amount of mayo).
Pecan Chicken
Marinating the chicken in the egg/honey mix isn't necessary, but it adds a sweetness to the chicken that simply coating the chicken won't provide.
2 eggs
1/2 cup honey
1 cup finely chopped pecans
1 cup Panko crumbs
4 chicken breats halves, thick part pounded slightly
salt and pepper to taste (optional)
olive oil (I use a spray)
1. In a bowl or ziploc bag, beat eggs and honey together until blended. Add chicken and marinate for at least 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
3. In a seperate bowl, toss together pecans bread crumbs, and salt and pepper.
4. Dredge the egg/honey soaked chicken with the pecan mixture, thoroughly coating. Place on a sprayed pan. Lightly drizzle or spray oil over tops of chicken.
5. Bake approximately 30 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink, and coating is lightly crisp.
6. Let rest for 5 minutes. Slice into thin slices.
Crisp Goat-Cheese Rounds
I like making these in the toaster oven at the last five minutes the chicken is cooking. You can also make them in your oven while your chicken is resting.
1 egg
1 cup Panko crumbs
8 ounces goat cheese, in a log shape
salt and pepper to taste (optional)
olive oil (I use a spray)
1. Preheat your broiler. Lightly oil a baking sheet.
2. In a small bowl whisk the egg, salt and pepper. Place the breadcrumbs in a second bowl.
3. Slice the goat cheese into 6-8 rounds. Shape each into a disk. Separate each disk with wax paper or foil to prevent sticking.
4. Dip each disk first in the egg, then in the breadcrumbs, coating evenly. Place on prepared baking sheet.
5. Brush (or spray) disks lightly with olive oil, and broil until golden and crisp, about 5 minutes.
Salad Assembly
Salads, in my opinion, are open to interpretation, and personal preferences. I've always liked carrots, celery, and bell peppers in mine, but hate cucumbers (though I enjoy them overall). So, feel free to add or replace what you like to the ingredients listed below.
1 lb mixed salad greens. I recommend a bitter or bold green like arugula, endive, and/or raddichio, mixed with your favorite lettuce.
1/4 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup chopped baby carrots
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 red or yellow bell pepper cored, seeded, and cut into 1 inches pieces
Place lettuces in a large bowl or dinner plate, and top with desired salad ingredients. Add approximately half of a chicken breast halve to each salad, and goat cheese. Sprinkle with dried cherries, and drizzle with vinaigrette.
No comments:
Post a Comment