Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Pecan Squares

I've been trying to branch out in my recipe sources, trying to get away from All Recipes as my main source, so I stopped by the library last week and picked up a copy of Barefoot Contessa's Back to Basics. I tabbed so many pages, I went out a few days later and borrowed her first book, The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook. I've read both of these books like novels, trying not to drool on each page...

The recipe on page 188 of The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook stopped me in my tracks. Pecan squares. Ina says they're "like pecan pie with a shortbread crust." I saw they're like a nutty, gooey, melt-in-your-mouth explosion of deliciousness.
Perhaps I should clarify my post title a little bit... These are To. Die. For. Pecan Squares. They're like Thanksgiving dessert, any day of the year. My favorite day-after-Thanksgiving tradition is eating a slice of pecan pie for breakfast, and these squares are no exception. I'm sure my cholesterol and blood pressure have spiked from eating too many of these delicacies, but I don't care. They're so stinkin' good!

I enjoy altering recipes to suit my taste preferences, and items I have on hand, but these were made exactly as stated. Boy, I'm glad I didn't tinker with perfection. Well, ok, I think there is one thing I will tinker with next time I make these, and that's cutting the recipe in half. This makes a lot of dessert which is perfect for serving to guests, but with only DH and I eating them, there are just too many...

You can make the shortbread two days before serving to break up the large chunk of time in the kitchen, and the filling a day before serving to give it plenty of time to set. I don't recommend serving these straight out of the fridge. They taste perfect and are easier to chew when barely heated in the microwave. They also taste awesome warmed up and topped with vanilla ice cream.

To Die For Pecan Squares
Shortbread crust
1 1/4 pounds unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 granulated sugar
3 extra-large eggs
3/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Beat butter and granulated sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, until light, approximately 3 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla, and mix well. Sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix the dry ingredients into the batter with the mixer on low speed until just combined. Press the dough evenly into an ungreased 18x12x1-inch baking sheet, making an edge around the outside. It will be very sticky; sprinkle the dough and your hands with flour. Bake for 15 minutes, until the crust is set but not browned. Allow to cool.

Pecan Topping
1 pound unsalted butter
1 cup honey
3 cups light brown sugar, packed
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/4 cup heavy cream
2 pounds pecans, coarsely chopped

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Combine butter, honey, brown sugar, and zests in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan (my 4 quart pot was almost too small). Cook over low heat until the butter is melted. Raise the heat and boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in the heavy cream and pecans. Pour over the crust, trying not to get the filling between the crust and the pan (now worries if this happens. That part tastes awesome). *Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until the filling has set. Allow to cool. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold. Cut into bars and serve.

*Be sure to protect your oven from drippy overflows.

No comments:

Post a Comment